Broccoli comes in different varieties, but the darker the color, the more beneficial nutrients it contains. You can also eat the leaves of broccoli as well as the stalks. They contain as much goodness and taste great, too!
- rich in a variety of nutrients that protect against types of cancer.
- contains chemicals that help lower bad cholesterol and protect against heart disease.
- lutein and zeaxanthin help prevent macular degeneration.
- helps to eradicate the H.pylori bacteria (germs can enter your body and live in your digestive tract; if you have a peptic ulcer, your doctor will probably test you for H. pylori infection, and it can be treated with antibiotics) high calcium content helps to build and protect bones.
- excellent source of the antioxidants vitamin C and selenium.
Look for broccoli heads rich with color and avoid any broccoli with pale, yellow on brown patches on the florets.